Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

I have a lot of complicated feelings that haven't been worth posting on here for a long time, so my blog has sat nearly forgotten since the end of September. It still isn't necessarily worth posting, but Happy New Year! I have a few resolutions.

1. Get man.
2. Get my life started.
 3. Go to freakin' school.
4. Move out.


 I have a little piece of advice for high school students. I have friends who are still in high school, and although they are few, I still feel a need to stretch a little bit of wisdom out their direction.


 To My High School Friends:

 High School SUCKS. I'm sure you already know that. But you know what? Being OUT of high school sucks. You know how your parents expect things from you? Be home at Blankity-blank. Your grades aren't great, you're grounded. You have to stay home and babysit. (And to those to whom it applies) Get a job/do well at your job/pay for your own dang things. Well guess what. It seems suck-ish now, because it IS. It does suck to have to have your parents on your back for everything.

Well Guess what else. It gets worse. Instantly the day you graduate and turn 18 becomes the day your parents now can take advantage of you for things. You are instantly a tenant in their house, no longer a kid they have to raise and take responsibility for. You are a high school graduate, eighteen years old, and now the law recognizes you as able to be independent of your family. You know what that means? At any given moment, if your parents wanted to start charging you rent, if your mom or dad felt like you weren't good enough in an area, they can do as they damn well please. So although 18 seems like a liberating age, it actually tends to be the exact opposite. But see, that's if you're in a house like mine.

Do not be afraid to lose everything. I know that sounds terrible, but it's true. Do not be afraid to have your freedoms essentially ripped from you.

I recently began envisioning my high school enthusiasm like a pregnancy. You're scared, but excited. You've heard wondrous things about giving birth and how amazing being a parent is. You know that it'll be hard, but oh so worth it.

Then comes the day you're supposed to give birth, the day you graduate to parenthood, and the baby is stillborn. You prepared your entire pregnancy to give birth to a beautiful child, and instead it was ripped from you and now you have to start over entirely.

You HAVE to be okay with that. You HAVE to accept that maybe your plans won't work out. You have to be ready to have people treating you like s**t until you can support yourself. You can't forget that it is your choice to start over even if it's hard.

It's the lesson I've learned. Life changes so much once your high school enthusiasm is stolen from you. I know not everyone is going to have the storms and decay that I've had, but please, trust me when I say that now is the time to enjoy having people around you. Enjoy people that seem completely irrelevant, because when you get out, they will be your world.

To end on a positive note, It IS the new year. Maybe something amazing will come of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment