She's currently pregnant with her and her husband's first child. I'm so excited for them! I actually first met her because I helped cater her wedding, so it's been pretty cool to see their little life get bigger together.
Anyway. On facebook, she posted a status about being pregnant and I thought it was cute. But what really motivated me to make this blog post was what someone commented to it.
It was a man, complaining about his ex (whether he meant ex wife or ex girlfriend, I couldn't be certain.) and how he had to make several runs to the store to satiate his pregnant wife-or-girlfriend's cravings.
This bothered me. And I'll talk about why later.
This is LISA'S LIST OF THINGS THAT BOTHER ME (but really shouldn't.)
1. Straightening my hair.
I'm notorious for having really long, really soft hair. Let me tell you now, it is a pain and a half to straighten it. I try not to straighten it every day, because then I get pretty bad split ends, but when I do, it takes forever, hair just gets EVERYWHERE, and oftentimes I miss pretty big sections of hair. I have a lot of it. It happens EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
Why shouldn't this bother me? Because I CHOOSE to keep my hair really long. If it's that much of an inconvenience, I'd just get my hair shaved off. Or pixie cut. I've been debating pixie cuts for a while now with my inner beautician. She says no. I'm saying maybe.
2. Men who are chivalrous to ONLY their significant other.
I'm not the kind of girl who says that chivalry is the only way to go. I'm the kind of girl who says, hey, if your man wants to be a chivalrous-knight-in-armor, then by all means let him, but for me, there isn't really a half way with chivalry. Either you're chivalrous to all women, or you're not. It's kind of demeaning to the rest of us, like you're saying "She's the only important woman to me. You all can just go away." I mean, I don't care if you don't open doors for women, or if you get in the car without opening the door for your date, or whatever, but If you're going to do it, then do it regardless of who the woman is.
Why shouldn't this bother me? Because boys will be boys. For some guys, I imagine being chivalrous at all can be a bit of a stretch. For others, it's a hard law. Everyone is different and everyone has a right to be so.
3. People who can't accept compliments.
There is a huge difference between being humble, and not accepting compliments. If I'm complimenting you, it means I genuinely think good of something you've done. It just can get bothersome if every compliment is responded with "OH NOOOOO~" all the time. I have a friend that I've lost contact with who is notorious for this. It would get so bad, I would try and reassure that I meant what I said, only to have her actively try and prove me wrong. It makes me NOT want to compliment you if you keep arguing with me. D< JUST SAY THANK YOU AND MOVE ON.
Why shouldn't this bother me? Because some people have social anxieties and this is the only way they know how to respond. I don't know about my friend, but I think I should probably be a little more understanding when she honestly doesn't think highly of herself.
AND LASTLY!
4. Men who complain about things Women do and can't control.
This applies to men who complain about period stress, pregnancy, and other things that are out of a woman's control.
Dear Mr. Man-who-commented-on-Kayla's-Status,
Your ex could not control her cravings. That's why they're CRAVINGS. If she had any control of them, she probably would have recognized it as an inconvenience. Now I've never been pregnant, but I've seen my mother carry four boys. It. Is. ROUGH. I would like to see you try and carry that baby for nine months, and deal with the emotional stress of it. I don't care if this makes me a raging feminist, but seriously? You have stresses too, I'm sure, but REALLY? Of all the things to complain about after you two have broken up, you're going to complain about how she acted during her PREGNANCY? You sir, probably need to be slapped in the face.
Love, Lisa
Why shouldn't this bother me? Because I have no idea who this guy is. Honest, I really shouldn't care this much. I guess it's just because I'm a girl? I dunno.
Anyway. That's it for today :3
I'm so in love with the fact that I arbitrarily inspired a blog post! We are awesome pseudo-relatives.
ReplyDeleteBeing pregnant is rough sometimes, especially when all the negatives seem to come together and happen all at once, like back pain + exhaustion + nonsensical food cravings + nonsensical emotional distress all in one night. Tony is pretty fantastic when it comes to being a sweetheart and treating me well, but even he isn't Prince Charming at all times. It sucks cause on those bad nights I know I'm being crazy and hormonal, but I still need him to be sympathetic and sometimes he just isn't. It's normal. I have to force myself to remember that he's human too and I really probably am acting crazy, and I shouldn't get too bothered by him not giving me a backrub every 10 minutes.
Also, I am bothered by people who are nice/chivalrous only to their significant other too. I read a quote recently about how you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat their servers at restaurants. If someone is nice to you but rude to the people who are serving them, you know they might not actually be a nice person.
Also, this is the longest comment in the world.
It's also a happy-making comment. :3
DeleteI love you, Kayla. You're great :D
I have never been pregnant, so, y'know, I wouldn't know, but I imagine it'll be awesome when you've got your little boy :3 Do you guys have a name yet?
And I'm glad you agree with the chivalrous thing. It's rather bothersome D;