Monday, January 16, 2012

Things that Bother Me about Weddings.

I really don't want to turn this blog into a thing where I just complain constantly. I am not a person who likes to complain about stupid things, so these last few blog posts are merely out of being in the mood to complain about a specific thing.

Today we're going to complain about the things that bug me during weddings.

Having worked as a caterer for my aunt for a long time, I've been to countless weddings for strangers and family members alike. I have seen a couple that I felt were absolutely perfect, and a few that needed work...

And then I see things that completely break my internal bridal rules. Being a self-titled bridal fashionista, I have tried to figure out for myself how this whole bridal scene works, especially in terms of dresses and colors and things like that, so...

I couldn't plan you a wedding, but I can sure as heck tell you when you're probably doing something wrong.

So here, inspired by the fact that someone I know broke most of my rules, here's my list of ...
THINGS THAT BOTHER ME ABOUT WEDDINGS.

1. Bridesmaids/Maid of Honor dresses that look like you just came from the prom.

There is a difference between a Bridesmaids dress and going to your senior prom, and it bothers me when people don't know the difference. Prom is about shiny things. Making yourself look stunning in bright colors and vibrant make up. Unless you're having like... a neon-colored, shiny'd-out, prom-themed wedding, (Which I hope you're not.) then your bridesmaids dresses shouldn't be satin, over the top, or distracting.

I think my favorite example of bridesmaids dresses gone right is this picture I found on Pinterest:


I love how the colors don't exactly match, but they work well together, and the bridesmaids don't overshadow the bride (Except maybe that one in the coral dress. But I think that's just because she's the only blonde and she's also the tallest. Y'can't change that...)


2. Girls who wear Converse under their dress because they think it's "So Me!"

For a while, this practice was pretty out there and... for lack of a better word, "hipster" to do. But now? It's become about as common as the bouquet and the rings. This DRIVES. ME. CRAZY.

I understand wanting to be comfortable on your wedding day. And for a while, the Converse idea was a-okay. I actually liked it the first time I saw it and thought it was a kind of fun way to make a wedding seem more fun than like a fancied-up business party. Now? It's been done. Time and time again. It just makes me think you tried to make your wedding unique and fun, but you weren't creative enough to think of something else.

To remedy this,  I recommend OffBeat Bride. Search "shoes" and you'll find HUNDREDS of different shoe choices that maybe you didn't realize you could do. Some are absolutely gorgeous but painful, and others are simple and comfortable. I actually recommend this website for a lot of things, but not for a traditional wedding, for sure.

Personally, I already know I'm going to have a nice pair of Victorian ankle boots at my wedding. It just is going to happen.


3. Girls who have no idea how to pick a good wedding dress, and mothers who encourage it.

There's usually a lot of hype over girls finding "The One." and I'm not talking about Mr. Right. I mean Ms. Perfect Dress. Have you noticed that? It's always the pressure about finding the man, then finding the dress.

I believe each girl should get acquainted with her own body type and figure out what style of dress works with it. This is actually what prompted me to do this blog post. I met a girl who had a terrible dress choice, and I honestly believe it's because she knows little to nothing about her body type, or dresses for that matter.

She chose a mermaid style gown, a shape which is notorious for being curve-flattering and sexy.

This girl is not curvy. She's a gorgeous girl, but she is not curvy. Not to mention, the mermaid style fell really flat on the bottom, like the tulle underneath couldn't hold up the dress. She looked like a massive white post. And aside from that, the fabric was satin, a shiny prom-dress fabric. (See #1). I hate satin. It's a terrible fabric. It makes everything look cheap and shiny. In this case? Shiny is not good.

The mothers who encourage it are ALMOST worst. Mothers are supposed to tell their daughters when their dress makes them look like a board. But if the mother is even less informed than the daughter, then you basically end up with a lose-lose situation. You get a white prom dress that gives you no shape, and a random girl on the internet complaining about how she hates your wedding dress.

(For the girl who actually got married, I love her to death. And she married the perfect guy for her. In the end, that's all that really matters anyway. I might not like half of their wedding pictures, but that doesn't particularly matter in the end.)

I'm posting a picture of a wedding dress I think would have done my friend much better than the one she got. She's LDS so, of course it'll be from LatterDayBride.com

A ballgown shape would have given her a little more shape, but this one isn't over the top ball gown, so she still would get the simplicity she wanted. The true waist would have helped her out a lot more too.


Anyway.  I could probably go on for hours on this topic, but I'm gonna go do dishes and then eat my late lunch.




2 comments:

  1. Just want to say, I loved Offbeat Bride when I was planning my wedding. My wedding wasn't perfect, but that website was a great resource for me to not mentally fall into a wedding planning rut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh pshhh. Your wedding was SO perfect. I loved EVERYTHING about it :D
      <3 The guy at the door was my favorite. I don't remember his name, but I remember him. and He was AWESOME.

      but Yesss, I frequent Offbeat Bride :3 Even though I'm kinda far from marriage at this point. xD I'm glad you use/used it too <3
      I'm just a bridal nut, I guess. xD

      Delete